Friday 3 June 2016

Vietnamese Food


In Berlin, Vietnamese food is everywhere.

Funnily enough, this is still one of my favourite things about Berlin. The endless supply of delicious, fresh food, all for less than a fiver!

I’m a huge fan of Vietnamese food, probably to the annoyance of my husband and friends, as I want to eat it every time we go out for a meal.

I first fell in love with it in Vietnam, and tried to emulate the most amazing dish I’d discovered when I got home – Bun Bo – basically, beef with rice noodles and salad, with a lime ginger dressing and peanuts. Mine was ok, but nothing compared to the original.

I remember being so excited when I first found it in London, at the Hanoi Café, where I still eat years later.

I was even more excited to discover there were literally hundreds of places I could get Bun Bo in Berlin. ManNgo in Mitte, was probably my favourite, and I would eat it on average once a week. For just 6€!

The other discovery, first tasted in Berlin, is the Glasnudelsalat (glass noodle salad). Amazing! A zingy dressing with noodles made from mung beans (which contain less carbs), chicken and salad. The perfect lunch on a summer’s day.

An American friend and I had a list going of the best ones, and made a point of trying as many different versions across the city as possible.

As if this is not enough to make you want to go out for Vietnamese at the next available opportunity, one of the best things is that most Vietnamese restaurants will give you free leitungswasser (tap water). Happily.

Top tip in Berlin if you’re a foreigner frustrated with the lack of freely available tap water.

No comments:

Post a Comment